Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Module 13: Goosebumps: The Ghost Next Door


Bibliography:
Stine, R. L. (1993). The Ghost next door. New York, NY: Scholastic.

Book Summary:
 Hannah has a new neighbor that she's never seen before. In fact, she doesn't even remember when he moved in. Apparently they also go to school together, but they don't know any of the same people. After he pulls a few disappearing acts in addition to some other fishy things, Hannah begins to wonder if her new friend is a ghost. 

My Thoughts:
Growing up, Goosebumps were one of my most favorite series. Of course when I saw it on the reading list, I jumped at the opportunity to read some of the ones I never got around to reading when I was younger. I was not disappointed, and got such a kick out of it. The twist at the end was unexpected, and the book was definitely entertaining. I will also be going back and reading the books in the series that I missed when I was growing up! 

Reviews:

*Have you, the reader, ever lived next to a ghost? Well I bet you haven't and neither have I. Yet this girl I'm going to talk about has experience. You'll know when you read "The Ghost Next Door". The book is called "The Ghost Next Door" by R.L. Stine. Hannah your ordinary 12 year-old gir, lives in a town Greenwood Falls. She has twin brothers named Bill and Herb, a mom, and a dad. Then Hannah notices a kid named Danny. Hannah noticed that she had never seen him before, and nobody had ever lived there. Hannah also noticed that Danny's mom was deaf. That was one of her reasons why she thought he was a ghost. The time also had a lot to do with the book I'm reading. You can be reading for 10 pages and it's day. The next five or more pages and it changes to night. Danny and his friends wouldn't be trying to trust Mr. Chesney's yard during the day. Everything they did was usually during the day, so he wouldn't notice them. Then something happens that makes Danny wonder the same thing about Hannah. Danny wants to know if she is a ghost. Let me tell you one last thing. Reader beware... Your in for a scare! 

(2004, May 10). [Review of the book The ghost next door by R.L. Stine]. Building Rainbows Book Reviews. Retrieved from http://buildingrainbows.com/bookreview/reviewid/4120

*One of my favorite Goosebumps, and one worth reading if you want a twist ending. 
Hannah tries to figure out who Danny is, and learns more about herself along the way (literally). Then things start to make sense. I liked the ending because it also reminded me that even if we lose people we like (I'd say love but it might hit a sensitive point) we can still remember them in our minds and hearts. Anyone who has lost a loved one should read this book. 

(2004, June 23). [Review of the book The ghost next door by R.L. Stine]. Building Rainbows Book Reviews. Retrieved from http://buildingrainbows.com/bookreview/reviewid/4694

Suggested Activities:
Have children make up their own ghost stories, with surprise endings! We could also watch the t.v. show version and compare the book with the show and decide which we like better. 

Image Link:

No comments:

Post a Comment